Quotation added by staff
...The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.--_Bible_.
39. The glory of children are their fathers.--_Bible_.
40. The gods do not avenge on the son the misdeeds of the father. Each, good or bad, reaps the just reward of his own actions. The blessing of the parents, not their curse, is inherited.--_Goethe_.
41. The ungrateful son is a wart on his father's face; to leave it is a blemish, to cut it a pain.--_Afghan_.
42.The words that a father speaks to his children in the privacy of home are not heard by the world, but, as in whispering galleries, they are clearly heard at the end, and by posterity.--_Jean Paul_.
43. To a father, who is growing old, there is nothing dearer than a daughter.--_Euripides_.
44. To a father, when his child dies, the future dies; to a child, when his parents die, the past dies.--_Auerbach_.
45. Vinegar the son of wine [_i.e._ an unpopular son of a popular father].--_Talmud_.
46. Whoso wishes to live without trouble, let him keep from step-children and winter-hogs.--_Low German_.
PROVERBS, SAYINGS, ETC., ABOUT... Richter, Jean Paul
Excerpt from The Child and Childhood in Folk-Thought Studies of the Activities and Influences of the Child Among Primitive Peoples, Their Analogues and Survivals in the Civilization of To-Day · This quote is about influence · Search on Google Books to find all references and sources for this quotation.
More on the author
This quote around the web
Search Quotations Book