Village: The Village Inn

Discussing quote:

Histories make men wise; poets, witty; the mathematics, subtle; natural philosophy, deep; moral, grave; logic and rhetoric, able to contend.

Started by Riha avatar Riha

Can sum1 plzz make me understand this quote? How does the subject, history make men more wiser than all other subjects?

belize19 avatarbelize19 said:

I think that this quote refers to LEARNING from the study of history, both our personal as well as cultural history. This way we have the opportunity to learn from our errors and cultivate our strengths and successes. And yes, sometimes, historic events are so complicated that it seems impossible to tease out the errors/blunders from the good choices made. And yes, sometimes random events and acts of nature confound us all. Still, kit's better to try to learn, don't you think? A book about learning from mistakes (historical and personal, I think) is titled Blunders! I've been planning to order or to check out this book, because I made a doozy of a blunder at work and want to put this in context and learn from it.

belize19 avatarbelize19 said:

I think that this quote refers to LEARNING from the study of history, both our personal as well as cultural history. This way we have the opportunity to learn from our errors and cultivate our strengths and successes. And yes, sometimes, historic events are so complicated that it seems impossible to tease out the errors/blunders from the good choices made. And yes, sometimes random events and acts of nature confound us all. Still, it's better to try to learn, don't you think? A book about learning from mistakes (historical and personal, I think) is titled Blunders! I've been planning to order or to check out this book, because I made a doozy of a blunder at work and want to put this in context and learn from it.

User gone

Perhaps it's simply that history is a collective experience, either of ones life or of 'humanity'.. thus with age comes experience, comes wisdom.

cleonardis avatarcleonardis said:

It doesn't say "history", it says "histories". Ergo, if you read histories off persons, you will find they it buff up the subjects. Dull poets become witty. Complicated mathematics become subtle. And so forth. It's like biographies of assassinated presidents: they all become spotless heroes despite their flaws. Maybe histories of GW Bush will make him look wise. ;-)

cleonardis avatarcleonardis said:

Corrected Post: It doesn't say "history", it says "histories". Ergo, if you read histories of persons, you will find historians buff up the subjects. Dull poets become witty. Complicated mathematics becomes subtle. And so forth. It's like biographies of assassinated presidents: they all become spotless heroes despite their flaws. Maybe histories of GW Bush will make him look wise. ;-)

jocaan avatarjocaan said:

Making a comment about GW Bush does not make you look wise. Frank C.

User gone

"Histories" are simply past experiences. Each time we have experiences and reflect upon them we garner information. That information can then be used to make the next decision. We see what the result of the previous decision and if we like what we see, it is feasible that we will make a similar decision this time. I read somewhere that "you don't wise because you get old, you simply get old." Being wise really has nothing to do with age. I've met old people who really aren't very wise, and I've met young people who are very wise because they have taken the time to be intentional about how they live life.

Get Quotes of the Day

Your daily dose of thought, inspiration and motivation.