Village: The Village Inn

manifesto !:

Started by herbreck avatar herbreck

Hello ! I love this place! This is one of my ten favorite websites on earth !!! Some ideas: • manifesto page - a separate page which I can format with text/font/color/size options and hotlinks plus images and quotations - link from my profile page with a brief "manifesto" statement formatted same as quotations - ability to mix choice quotations into text of my manifesto in the order I choose - ability to pay for no ads - this page would become an integral part of many communications ( email signature, footer on letters, resume link, website link, etc etc ) and expose a wide audience to the power of Quotationsbook! - music option? - slideshow option? - video option? - .pdf option? - the ultimate way to state "this is what I am all about" on the web! • we need the ability to change the order of our quotations - I like the way this is done on the iPhone: you click "edit" button and this shows "grabbers" beside each item - click and drag to change the order • I sure wish there was a unique possibly new way to interact with other ( beautiful intelligent female ) members ! - private messaging is ok on many forums - internet dating is for faithless fools - perhaps a better version of private messaging with nice "postcard" templates - ability to set options for total privacy - ruthless privacy policy that expressly forbids sharing with "big brother" or anyone else and expunges data by default, with notification of any request for info by authorities • "my book as .pdf" currently displays quotes in reverse order - could this feature display { my quotes / profile / manifesto } the way we format it? • possibly a way to differentiate between user-submitted quotes which have not yet been verified vs. verified/sourced quotations? • ( option ) pictures of the author beside each quotation? ... and I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more! right on! ecliptic The surest defense against Evil is extreme individualism, originality of thinking, whimsicality, even -- if you will -- eccentricity. That is, something that can't be feigned, faked, imitated; something even a seasoned imposter couldn't be happy with.Joseph Brodsky

amitkoth avataramitkoth said:

hello! Thanks so much for your comments! I just added a Quotations Book "wall" powered by Google - where anything you post is visible throughout the site! Also - I added the friend connect widget that lets any google user add themselves to this site - that's a sort of simple social network in place now - for the first time! Your ideas: - styling your own page is an interesting one - I'll have a look to see what that involves - we don't know if there's any need to launch a pay-plan yet - since we need to offer something really valuable for that. I thought about premium content, but all these content providers are charging extremely high fees for us to license their content (esp publishers of quotation textbooks) - instead of verified/non-verified quotes - all quotes on this site are marked as "owned" by someone - in their collection. The initial 43,000+ quotes we had are marked as owned by the user "staff". This is probably nicer, since we don't have the means/staff to check verification. One other thing I did - which you might've noticed in the last 2 days - is add a "Sources and Origins" link under every quote. This links to google books, which lets you see if that quote was in any books - therefore letting you verify its authenticity/source by yourself. - We currently have pictures on many author pages, have a look at the "Photo Wall" for Mark Twain for example. These are copyright checked photos from the wikimedia commons. Thanks so much for the comments - you keep us going! Here's to a new and excellent 2009 - where QB brings wisdom and happiness to the world! Amit

herbreck avatarherbreck said:

manifesto |ˌmanəˈfestō| noun ( pl. -tos) a public declaration of policy and aims, esp. one issued before an election by a political party or candidate. ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Italian, from manifestare, from Latin, ‘make public,’ from manifestus ‘obvious’ (see manifest ). The word "manifesto" has unfairly acquired some negative connotation. It's my intention to not only perfect my rLOVEutionary manifesto into an intense multimedia fusion of ideas/images/music/video/astronomy/art ... a mind-bending eye-opening journey... but to grow the idea of multimedia manifestos into an integral part of people's web content and a powerful tool for positivity. This could be a new "killer app"... I lack the resources to tackle this idea properly at the moment - so I thought I'd run it by you as it might be a cool new feature for Quotationsbook... and of course you guys have your hands full already with all the nice improvements and tweaks! I personally don't like the involvement of Google in everything all over the damn web... I don't trust Google with any of my information and I look forward to the day I can stop using them altogether. I will never sign up for any service or free anything from them - they are censoring web content and most likely collecting info for TIA over at DARPA... Google IS Big Brother. What is needed now and a trend which I am helping to grow - is "ruthless privacy policy". That is a stated policy to not only totally protect and expunge all personal data - but to expressly NOT COOPERATE with Big Brother! Those websites with the cahones to defy Big Brother will be rewarded, those who "go along to get along" will go the way of the dying so-called "mainstream media"... slow descent into irrelevancy and insolvency. Good riddance!!! I strongly encourage you to help pioneer the ruthless privacy movement. Take back the internet hubs. Disband the NSA. Demand privacy! "Break the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter them to the wind" (~) John F. Kennedy Keep the internet for the people - fight big brother! ecliptic

Busy12 avatarBusy12 said:

"The truthfulness of dream is related to the Sincerity of the dreamer.Those who have the most truthful dreams are those who are the most truthful in Speach"

Get Quotes of the Day

Your daily dose of thought, inspiration and motivation.